baby
baby

Monday, September 21, 2009

You won't believe it when I tell you

I'm embarrassed to be writing this post. When I was seeing the old fertility doctor (Dr. N) for 7 months, I felt confident that he knew what he was doing. I live in a state with amazing medical resources, and Dr. N is affiliated with one of the best hospitals in the country. I was hesitant to change doctors because his office delivers babies at said large, famous hospital, where my first son was born. I had a great experience and I wanted to go back. I defended Dr. N when he probably didn't deserve to have my benefit of the doubt. In retrospect, I feel like I should have changed doctors sooner, (which is why I'm kind of embarrassed) but who knew?

If you remember, I began to get the feeling that this doctor and his staff weren't paying enough attention to me as a person and as a set of symptoms. (Honestly, I don't care if you see me as a set of symptoms as long as you tell me wtf is wrong with me.) That's when I started to look into getting second opinions and changing doctors.

Well, the genetic counselor we met with last week called me this morning to tell me that she got a copy of the chromosomal analysis from the last embryo I miscarried. (She actually followed up and called me when she said she would. What a breath of fresh air!)

The embryo did NOT have Kline.felter Syndrome.

It had Triploidy. That means that it had 69 chromosomes instead of 46. That's a whole extra set from one parent. She said that either the egg was fertilized by two sperm, or the egg didn't divide as it should so that all of its chromosomes were transferred instead of half. She thinks the reason that Dr. N said Klinef.elter is because Triploidy is XXY, as is Klinef.elter. It's just that Triploidy is 69 XXY, and Klinef.elter is 47 XXY. Which means... Dr. N wasn't paying enough attention.

The good news is that Triploidy IS a reason for the m/c, (whereas Klinef.elter alone, is not.) It is a random event, and there is no reason to think that it's related to T's XYY Karyotype, nor, most likely, will it ever happen to us again.

If I had to take a guess right now, I'm betting on luteal phase defect or progesterone deficiency (probably both), and the only way to find out is to keep playing the game.

8 comments:

Wifezzilla said...

i feel like we're playing the least fun game EVAR.

but, this is oddly good news. of course, you're back to where you began, but at least you now know what exactly happened and what your chances are for it happening again.

best of luck, my friend.

Wendy said...

thank goodness your genetic counsellor followed up with you! It's a shocker that someone actually does what they say they are going to do - glad that you now know exactly what happened. Hopefully this is just a random event and that it is just, sadly, case of bad luck.

Stacie said...

The process of elimination sucks, but at least you're getting real answers finally.

Good thing you went in for the 2nd opinion. I commend you for not giving up!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Does it ever end for you? Hoping you get your baby SOON!

Karen said...

I am sitting here trying to find my jaw since it just fell off and hit the floor. This IS a bad soap opera! I remember reading about all these genetic conditions way back when I was in school. I can't believe how your info keeps flip-flopping. But I have to say that I'm really glad you switched doctors and I feel much more confident in your new doctor's attention to detail.

How are you holding up with all this? Are you a basket case? I only ask because I know I would be one. One thing I don't deal well with is when plans constantly have to be changed. I can't imagine how bitchy/depressed/crazy I'd be if I were you over the past few months.

I will be saying extra prayers for you that you finally get some peace and the family you want and deserve.

cheryllookingforward said...

You're right, I can't believe it. Wow.

But the good thing is that this probably won't happen again.

Sending you good thoughts!

Azaera said...

I'm so glad you found out, let's hope this time it's the right reason.

Anonymous said...

That is nuts that there was confusion both about T's DNA and the embryo's. Wow.
I'm glad that there is no problem with T.
I hope you've just had craptacular luck and that next time things will go perfectly.