baby
baby

Monday, June 21, 2010

Nesting

Is it really nesting? Let me tell you, I've been on a rampage. I made a list of all of the crap that I have been meaning to do for the last, oh.... I don't know... two or three years, and I've been chipping away at it, slowly but surely. In addition to big projects, the list actually includes little cleaning projects that I know won't get done after the baby is born, stocking up on diapers when there are sales, washing and folding lots of hand-me-down baby girl clothes, as well as preparing and freezing food for easy meals after she's born. It's very gratifying, but at the same time I feel overwhelmed at the number of things still on the list vs. the number of weeks left in this pregnancy! (It's only about 3 1/2 for those who are keeping score. Eek!)

In addition to projects, (or maybe as a result of projects) I've been spending money like it's water. Now, if you know me, you'll know that I'm usually very frugal. I'm officially a coupon queen (something I was striving for about a year ago, as some of you may remember.) I know the spending won't make me feel good when I get our credit card bill (though we pay it off every month), but right now it somehow makes me feel more prepared for the baby.

When I was out with D today, though, I was thinking about how easy he is now. Strike that. Two is NEVER easy, but SO much easier than an infant. I am so far removed from infant that I am almost letting myself believe that maybe this time will be different. Maybe I'll feel more able to pack the kids up and go grocery shopping or to Targ.et. When D was a baby, those things seemed like huge ordeals. I guess a part of me is hoping that if I feel like my house is in order when the baby is born, then I'll have an easier time doing other things that make me feel like a human being (like getting out and about to get the good deals with my coupons!) I'm sure the reality will be rough, but for now, I'm gonna keep chipping at this list, and hope for the best.

EDIT: I just read this and realized that it kind of sounds like I'm more worried than excited about this baby. Trust me when I tell you that I'm MUCH more excited than worried. I just tend to use this forum to get out my fears, since the excitement is something that is socially acceptable in the real world, while the fears aren't as accepted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 3 1/2 wks! Wow...exciting!

I spent alot this time around too lol :)


Kelley

Dawn said...

Holy Cow you sound like me!! I have been spending like mad!! And I really really hate shopping (I'm not just saying that). I have a huge list of things to do and even though I am slowly doing them, I am still anxious to get every single thing done. With only 2.5 weeks to go, that is just not possible. I am so happy to learn I'm not the only one with lists and spending issues...lol. Thanks!!!

Lauren said...

it all sounds very exciting, though as you say, hectic!
i'm sure you'll never feel totally prepared but in reality things will be fine when the time comes :)
...also i'm sure your fears/anxieties would be understood and accepted if you were to express them in the real world as well as your excitement? but if you dont feel they would be then know that the blog world is here for you, reading and supporting you all the way! :)
(not sure if I have even introduced myself before, but i am really enjoying following your baby journey xx)

Stacie said...

I never experienced nesting. I think only because I'm always like that with to-do lists.

I hope you're able to get all the things done that you want to.

I always wonder what having two will be like. I imagine being more relaxed with my second one. Let me know how that goes.

I remember just the thought of taking Laney as an infant was such a production (even though it really wasn't).

CeCe said...

Yay- only 3.5 weeks!!

Nest away! Sounds like you are getting prepared and are very excited. I, on the other hand, am excited but feeling very lazy! Wish I had your motivation.

Me said...

Ha ha! I'm doing the same thing, too! For me, having a baby the second time around was easier than the first. I think part of it was because I knew more of what to expect. Now I am nervous that I will have more kids than I have hands! Eek!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are getting things accomplished! I've got a lot of things I will do to prepare next time around in hopes that it will help in those early months when everything is crazy. Hopefully the infant stage will go smoothly for you even with a preschooler in tow as well.