baby
baby

Monday, October 26, 2009

Let each day with hope begin

I've said before in my blog that I'm not a very religious person, though I do believe in God, and I am baptized and confirmed. One complication that I've faced over the past few years is that I'm protestant, and my husband is catholic, so it makes going to church together more of a challenge. That's a story for a different day, but I wanted to share something religious with you all because it makes me smile (and get choked up) every time I read it. These words are actually a children's book called "Give Me Grace" by Cynthia Rylant that I read to my son often. Although it's a religious children's book, I find it to not be overly religious, and I find it incredibly uplifting and thought provoking. (Somehow the words feel very appropriate for those in similar situations to mine, as well.)

Monday
Monday make me good and kind
to all creatures that I find.
Help me love God's whole creation.
Make my life a celebration.

Tuesday
Tuesday teach me faith and caring.
Teach me wisdom, teach me sharing.
Raise me up and make me strong.
Be with me the whole day long.

Wednesday
Wednesday make me full of light.
Guide my heart both day and night.
Give me gladness, give me grace.
Shine your love upon my face.

Thursday
Thursday open up my eyes
to your angels in the skies.
Let me know their wings are near me,
and that they will always hear me.

Friday
Friday keep the ones I love.
Comfort them from up above.
Lift their hearts and hold them dear.
Help them know that you are here.

Saturday
Saturday in early morn,
make me thankful I was born.
Give my spirit peace within.
Let each day with hope begin.

Sunday
Sunday in a quiet time,
bless this little life on mine.
In the wonder of each day,
let me live a holy way.

Amen.

By Cynthia Rylant

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks for sharing. I may have to find that book as I'm looking for some good Christian/etc type books for him.
It reminds me of that poem "Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace..." etc.
Matthew was born on a Thursday, the verse about Thursday from your book talks about angels. Makes me think of his big brother looking down watching over him.

Wendy said...

thank you for sharing.

Me said...

What a great message. Thanks.

prashant said...

thank you for sharing. Work From Home