baby
baby

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Keeping a level head

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you wonderful ladies for the supportive comments. I, too, know three women personally who have gotten false positives on various portions of the DS screening tests. I'm trying to keep my head in the game and focus on the good results of the first two sets of tests.

I have to wait until next Tuesday for the level II u/s, and then if anything looks funky, I have the option of having the amnio that same day. It sounds like if everything looks fine on the u/s, I won't be having an amnio. I would be fine with that in some ways because of the slight risk involved, but it also would be nice to have an absolute answer. Apparently the lvl II u/s will take the place of my 18 w u/s at my doctor's office, so I'll be having that just a little earlier than anticipated. I'm still really nervous about the placenta placement, so all in all, it's going to be a nerve-wracking day.

I'm really torn about finding out the sex. We didn't with D, and that was really great. However, after everything we've gone through, I feel like we need something really fun to look forward to NOW. But... it was so much fun with D to be able to make the phone calls after he was born and say, "It's a boy!" Would it be so wrong to find out the sex and then not tell anyone...?

9 comments:

just me, dawn said...

praying for great news for you at the level II.....and if you can keep the secret I say go for it. If not, it has been fun for us to tell the gender but keep the name secret.....people are getting antsy waiting to hear :)

Me said...

I hope you find all is well in the u/s and don't have to have the amnio.

As far as not telling anyone the gender...we did that once! It was so fun! We knew, because my DH hates surprises, but it was fun to surprise everyone else. It is your baby, so you can do whatever you want! I promise they will all forgive you once they see that sweet little baby!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the level 2 u/s.

I would say do whatever you feel comfortable with in regards to gender. We told both times but it would be fun to wait!

Kelley

Azaera said...

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I will share some experiences from my life. When my mom was pregnant with my brother they told her something was wrong when they did the screening. They had her totally freaked out, she was told he'd have deformities, and so on and so forth. Anyway he was born, completely healthy. Not a thing wrong with him.

As far as I know they make a lot of mistakes with those tests, and amnio carries a risk of miscarriage. I refused to have it done when I was pregnant. As I said to my doctors, my child is my child, regardless of all else.

Anyway the decision you make is up to you. I just hope they don't have you stressed out over nothing.

Shawn said...

To find out or not to find out is a hard one. I think if I knew, I would accidentally blurt it out to someone. I agree with your first commenter, if you think you can keep it to yourself, why not?

Good luck with the Level II US!

CeCe said...

I will be keeping you in my thoughts as you go through these next couple of weeks. Keep that level head! Hopefully you won't have to, but if it turns out that you do get an amnio- keep in mind that the risk factor is very small.. about 1/400 or .25%

I feel the same way as you about finding out the sex of the baby. We might try the finding out but not telling anyone route too, although I think it might be hard not to let it slip..

Anonymous said...

Hoping all goes well. (((Hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I hope everything goes wonderfully at your u/s.
As far as finding out and not telling others...that might be fun. I couldn't get away with it because my mother would kill me, lol.

Dawn said...

Hey! Gave you an award at my blog. Check it out.