Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Not enough answers

I still don't know.

Well, first the good news: my low lying placenta seems to have corrected itself, which takes one more thing off my list of "stuff to worry about."

And then the other news.

I had my level II u/s yesterday, and the baby wouldn't cooperate during the u/s. They weren't able to view all of the structures that they needed to see, so I have to go back for a follow-up at the beginning of March. The doctor said that the strucutres they could see "look fine" and the fact that they couldn't see some things "does not mean that there is a problem."

We made the decision to have the amnio because we feel that we need to know for sure, and we need to know before March. We were able to do the amnio right in the same room as the u/s. We'll have preliminary results of the amnio back in a couple of days. The thing that is freaking both of us out (and I'm kind of glad I didn't know it before I met with the genetic counselor yesterday prior to the u/s) is that the odds of this baby having Dow.n Syndr.ome are 1:95. For those of you who haven't had a DS screening, this is a HUGE number. Usually, they speak in terms of 1:10000 or 1:5000. It still means that 94 out of 95 will NOT have DS, but there's a better than 1% chance that it could.

Please, please, please... Let us be one of the 94.


Anonymous said...

Praying you both are one of the 94 that is not affected.

I never had an amnio, but I'm sure it was scary as hell. I understand your need to know because I would be the same way.

My low lying placenta also corrected itself by 19 weeks this pregnancy.

We are all here for you no matter what the results.


Dawn said...

I don't think I would've been able to wait until March either. When do you get the results from the amnio??

Em said...

I hope you get good news! I wouldn't have been able to wait until March either.

Did you find out what your baby's gender is?

Megan said...

Oooh Goodness I hope you get good news!! I'll be thinking happy thoughts for you and baby! I had an amnio at 15 weeks. We got our FISH results back 2 days later! That's so much better then the 2 weeks it takes for everything but the 2 days seemd like months. *hugs*

just me, dawn said...

Praying that you are in the almost 99% of pregnancies that would not have DS. Also hoping you get the early FISH results and don't have to wait for all of the results!

Stacie said...

I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to get all the answers this time...soon though. I can only imagine the anxiety you must be feeling. You're doing awesome.

Karen said...


I know how scary it is. I had the same odds told to me when I had my false positive. One of the things that helped me a lot at the time was reading a little about DS. I found out that even if my baby was affected, it wasn't automatically as bad as I feared. Downs has a range, from my worst case scenario with major health problems and mental retardation, all the way to no health problems and only mild learning disabilities. Of course we all hope that your baby isn't affected at all... but even if it is, there's hope.

cheryllookingforward said...

Good luck! I hope those results come back fast and have "normal" next to everything.

I'll be thinking of you